Michigan Farmers Markets - Application to Participate
From farms to families, Fair Food Network (FFN) connects people to the power of food to grow community health and wealth. Our signature program, Double Up Food Bucks, serves as a national model for healthy food incentives by doubling the buying power of SNAP recipients, helping families bring home more fruits and vegetables while boosting business for local farmers. Through Fair Food Fund, our impact investing arm, we invest in early stage entrepreneurs who are strengthening communities and local economies through food. Together, we are pioneering and proving innovations that can be owned locally and scaled nationally, for lasting change in communities across the country. The Double Up program provides Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) beneficiaries with a one-to-one match to purchase healthy, locally grown fruits and vegetables at participating locations.
Fair Food Network (FFN) is now inviting Michigan farmers to begin participating in the 2021 season of the Double Up program. Applications are being collected by the Michigan Farmers Market Association (MIFMA) which partners with FFN to help facilitate Double Up Food Bucks at farmers markets throughout the state.
This application is for farm businesses or organizations that operate farm stands, food share programs, or CSA farms who do NOT reimburse individual vendors for SNAP sales.
Note: Farmers that accept silver Double Up tokens for Michigan-grown produce at a farmers market that is participating in Double Up Food Bucks and are getting reimbursed by the market for Double Up sales, do not need to apply to FFN to continue to participate in this manner. This application is for farmers that sell Michigan produce at venues, including their own farms, that are NOT currently participating in the program. Farmers markets, where locally grown fruits and vegetables are direct marketed to customers and where site administrators reimburse individual vendors for food assistance sales, need to apply through a different application and can contact the Michigan Farmers Market Association at email@example.com for more information about the 2021 program season. Grocery and Corner stores are encouraged to contact the Fair Food Network office with questions at 866-586-2796 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest!
To apply as a direct marketing site, complete the following online application by 11:59 pm January 31st, 2021, and send attachments to Michigan Farmers Market Association (MIFMA) at email@example.com. Call (517)432-3381 if you have questions about applying.
To qualify to participate in the Double Up program, direct marketing sites must:
- Be able to accept SNAP benefits – if you do not yet accept SNAP benefits, MIFMA offers a series of resources to help you get started. Visit https://mifma.org/for-markets/snap/ to learn more.
- Have a SNAP Permit number for USDA Food and Nutrition Service (FNS). • Have a point-of-sale device to operate SNAP/Bridge Card transactions
- Demonstrate sufficient capacity to handle the accounting and reporting associated with Double Up.
- Have a designated person who is responsible for Double Up implementation If you need additional support to meet these qualifications, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (517)432-3381 for more information.
Priority will be given to direct marketing sites which:
- Have demonstrated experience accepting SNAP benefits (minimum of one season of experience is preferred)
- Are providing increased access to fresh fruits and vegetables for individuals and families utilizing SNAP as a part of their food budget in communities not currently served by the Double Up program
Sites that participated during the 2020 market season do NOT need to reapply.
Please complete the following application
This completes the online portion of your application. You will be sent a copy of your responses, please print or save a copy for your records. If you notice any mistakes, please send an email to email@example.com describing the corrections that need to be made.
In order for your application to be complete, you MUST submit a W9 signed in 2021. The W9 form can be found here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf
This document can be uploaded here or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact MIFMA if you have any challenges sending in the documentation at (517)432-3381.
Site selection is scheduled for late February 2020 at which point all sites will be notified of the decision made.